If you want to use a video with music online, there are two types of rights you have to consider: the synchronisation rights and the performing rights. More information on these types of rights can be found below.

Apply for your licence now via MyUnisono!

Click here for more information about our general conditions.


Synchronisation rights

First and foremost you have to ask for permission from the publisher of the musical work. These are the ‘synchronisation royalties’ that you have to pay in order to be able to use music in a video. It is ultimately the publisher (and the record producer if you are using an existing recording) who decides whether or not the work (and the recording) may be used and how much it will cost. There is no minimum or maximum royalty for this.

You can also use so-called library or stock music. For this you pay a fixed rate per musical work and per fragment of 30 seconds.

List of publishers offering library music

Another possibility is to compose music yourself or to have it composed especially for your production. In this case you reach a direct agreement with a composer.

Finally you can always use royalty-free music that belongs to the public domain (music of which the longest living author/composer has been dead for more than 70 years).

Looking for the publisher of a particular work? Click here


Performing rights

Then there are also the royalties for the performing rights that you have to pay for making a work available online. More information on the applicable rate can be found here.

Attention! It is important to note that, in addition to the copyright royalties, there are also neighbouring rights royalties (for instance for the producer). If you want to make certain films available on the Internet, the producers must give you prior permission to do so.


Contact Unisono

Choose a different subject in: Audiovisual work